Roehampton Estate

A few weeks ago I entered Roehampton estate armed with only a sketchbook, ruler and pencil. The buildings probably seem ugly to many, but I'm attracted to their scale and angularity. In particular I like the physical space the "legs" of the larger structures create. Whilst sketching the second drawing down a voice shouted out from one of the balconies.
"What you doing, drawing?"
"Yes," I replied, although I couldn't see the person anywhere.
"Well I'll put some music on for you."
And with that I was treated to a wonderful mixture of electronic dubstep and liquid drum and bass. The music seemed to have the same mass and volume as the buildings. I visualised these monuments as giant speakers pumping abstract concrete shapes into the atmosphere.

I never did see the person, but I thank them for inspiring me!

See, people aren't all bad are they?





16 comments:

Mick said...

Great story
that is just the thing that happens all the timne and never makes the news... 'human cheers human up for no other reason than that' ... extra extra read all about it.

Michael said...

These are fantastic! I love the technique.

Matthew Cruickshank said...

Cheers Mick & Michael

Oscar Grillo said...

The name says it all, Roe Hampton:
"Fish eggs at the settlement near the water-meadow"

gur-B said...

Trellic tower is still my favourite, can you do something with that for me ?

Matt Jones said...

Attack the Block!

Catherine Unger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
meverit@gmail.com said...

LOVELY :)

Matthew Cruickshank said...

Good to hear from you Mr. Everitt- hope all's well down under.

lillian chan said...

These are so beautiful!

stefan marjoram said...

Terrific! Just makes me want to pick up a pencil and sketchbook and go out and..


...throw them all off a bridge.

(not really, it does make me want to sketch though)

Alexis Barattin said...

Great story - amazing drawings. Love your work!

Toni Reyna said...

Love them!

Matt said...

Great drawings and story, and the resulting splurge of angular sound pumping outta dem windows is something else! Note to self: take sketchbook out, leave ipod behind.

Unknown said...

Like your water colour picture of Roehampton. Think you caught the concept of the buildings in your drawings as the original architects conceived them. n

Unknown said...

Like your water colour picture of Roehampton. Think you caught the concept of the buildings in your drawings as the original architects conceived them. n